The goal of the DCCF Community Grants program is to improve the lives of Douglas County, Kansas residents. We support a wide variety of activities in the following areas:
• Arts and Culture
• Children and Youth
• Community Development
• Human Services
• Grants generally range from $1,000 to $10,000.
• In recent years, about 50% of applicants have received grants.
• Proposal must come from a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, tribal entity or local government.
• Proposal must be for work that primarily benefits residents of Douglas County, Kansas.
• Organization must conduct business without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or national origin.
Favored activities are those that:
• Provide a substantial benefit
• Produce meaningful, measurable results
• Include a plan to measure results
• Build self-sufficiency and help attract additional funds and resources for the participants or organization
• Assist with or promote collaboration among nonprofits to minimize duplication
In addition, the foundation is more likely to fund requests that:
• Are clearly and concisely described
• Are based on complete and clear income and expense projections
• Do not require recurring DCCF funding for the same project or purpose
• Reasonably ensure continued support after foundation funding is no longer available
• Are proposed by organizations that demonstrate sound financial practices and strong staff and volunteer support
Limitations on Grantmaking
Generally, grants are not awarded for:
• Purchase of tickets or tables at special events, memberships, or advertising
• Annual campaigns
• Endowment funds
• Religious purposes
• Lobbying or political activities prohibited by the IRS
• Debt retirement
At the end of the grant period, awardees are required to report on results and complete a financial statement detailing how funds were used. A report form will be provided.