• Contact
  • News
  • Donor Portal

St. Luke AME Capital Improvement Fund

St. Luke AME, built in 1910, has served a predominantly black congregation as a church and cultural center for its entire history. Listed on local, state and national registers of historic places, it is one of the few Lawrence buildings left with documented ties to the celebrated writer Langston Hughes, who lived here for several years as a boy.

A first phase of rehabilitation was completed in 2010, and included structural repair of the roof, and sanctuary restoration.

This second phase will restore the two large stain glass windows, and rehab the two brick veneer walls in which they sit. The project also continues an ADA project that began last fall with installation of a zero-entry door into the basement level. Now, installation of an interior elevator will allow accessible entry to the church’s main level. This project has received a Kansas Heritage Trust Fund grant of $95,000, and a Douglas County Heritage Conservation Council grant of $57,750. The Rice Foundation has also provided a $25,000 grant for the elevator portion of the project. The congregation is contributing towards funding of the elevator, but there is no major fundraising committee working towards funding other exterior walls in critical need of repair. The grant funding ensures that work will start this fall, but this local preservation project is in need of timely support from the Lawrence community.

Please help Lawrence’s ‘Friendly Church on the Corner’ continue its essential service well into its Second Century.

Donate To This Fund
Go Back